Saturday, June 21, 2008

Challenging phase

As a mother, I will encounter challenging stages as my kids grow. I will blog about the different challenges & the progression.

Current challenge: Sibling rivalry
I know there is bound to be some jealousy between siblings but I didnt realise it can be so emotionally and mentally draining. Lately, Kayla has been "fighting" for my attention which puzzles me cuz in the first place all the attention goes to her! If she is in a good mood, then Kieran is lucky to hear me read and sing or put him to bed.

Lucky thing is they dont fight, punch or pull each other's hair. Kayla will only stand in front of me or insist I carry her when I am talking to her brother. This does not happen every day but its draining enough esp. if she kicks a big fuss. Even popo cannot help.

And her latest trick? Complain she has a stomachache. Initially I thought it was for real then I noticed a pattern.. stomachache comes when I am angry with her; when I pay more attention to Kieran or she just want me to carry. Aiyoh!

Overall, she listens and will apologise when she knows she is in the wrong. According to author Dr Spock (been doing alot of research!), rivalrous feelings are often more intense in a firstborn child and a useful principle is everyone in the family gets what they need and sometimes we all need different things. When parents try to treat different children equally rather than individually, jealousy often intensifies.

Will ponder and pray!

No comments:

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker