Monday, February 11, 2008

Steamed apples

My 3 weeks in tumble tots (Kayla's school) was a fruitful one. Why? Firstly, bonding between mother & child. Secondly, I've learnt many children's songs ha ha. Lastly, I got to know this kid's ah ma and she gave me many traditional receipes to boost immune system & to improve complexion.

They are suitable for children and adults. Ah ma said she is very particular about her granddaughter's well being so she spends alot of effort in preparing her meals.

Today I tried steamed apples. This is no ordinary steamed apples. It is supposed to "lun fei" or to treat minor cold/cough. My kids love it.

Ingredients:
- 1 red apple

- 1 wu hua guo (wet)
- a pinch of zhen chu fen (pearl powder) & chuan bei
- 1-2 small drops of honey

Methods:
- Slice apple into half (with skin)
- Remove seeds/core
- Rinse and slice (thinly) wu hua guo
- Put wu hua guo and zhen chu fen/chuan bei into the center of the apple & put the two halves tog (1 whole apple)
- Steam for 2-3hrs

- When ready to serve, remove apple's skin and wu hua guo. Add 1-2 small drops of honey. ENJOY!

Note:
- Purchase zhen chu fen & chuan bei from chinese medical hall and request to grind into powder form. Next time, I will just get chuan bei becuz mom told me not necessary to add zhen chu fen (too ex!).

- I bought top grade honey as it has no sugar and no preservatives. Better for kids. 1 small bottle cost me $25. You can choose not to add honey as wu hua guo and apple are naturally sweet.

Clockwise (front): Wu hua guo, zhen chu fen/chuan bei (powder), honey, apple (sliced into half).

Ready to serve!

No comments:

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker